Faced with “can you come and introduce Kanban to our organisation”, the first question must always be Why?
So, here’s why:
- many teams (DBA, Networks, Sysadmins, Service Desk, Release team) often inadvertently working against each other.
- All communication done via helpdesk software and emails, even when individuals sat next to each other resulting in very little collaboration and team work.
- Very large overtime bill with many individuals regularly working a 70 hour week.
- Over 60 projects in flight – prioritisation by “he who shouts the loudest”
- Project Managers going head to head over shared resources and applying unfair pressure to delivery teams
- Teams time-slicing between projects, departmentally struggling to manage many stakeholders and strike a healthy balance between projects, incidents, and BAU.
- Regularly missed deadlines, wasted capacity – particularly around hand-offs, waiting time, and lot’s of partially done work.